President Barack Obama
Hello, my name is Julia Carney. I have lived in Scituate Massachusetts for most of my life. I’m in ninth grade and I go to Scituate High School. I am writing this letter to try and raise awareness of the injustices faced by American Indians. I feel that this subject doesn't get the attention that it needs and hopefully my letter will help it be heard.
I huge injustice that American Indians face is racism. When most people think of racism the first thing that comes to their minds is racism against African Americans or Asians. Many people forget about the American Indians, but they too have faced and still continue to face racism and stereotypes. Many American Indians still live on reservations, where many facilities are unavailable to them. There are also bad job conditions at the reservations and a lack of education and poverty. American Indians face the highest rate of school drop outs, child mortality, suicide, and teenage pregnancy, and the lowest rate of life expectancy.
It is important that this issue is treated with compassion because it is a sensitive subject since it involves a large group of people’s everyday lives. American Indians are the original inhabitants of America and they faced a hard time when the Europeans invaded the continent. The government did not care about them and they were thought of as being not culturally developed. The issue has been going on for hundreds of years and although it has gotten a lot better, there are still many injustices that they face. Some American Indians have hostility towards non-American Indians because of the way that they have been treated by them.
Sincerely,
Julia Carney
Sincerely,
Julia Carney
No comments:
Post a Comment