Translate

Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Ch. 16-17 TKAM

In chapters 16 and 17 of "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee, there were a few events that stood out to me. At the beginning of chapter 16 when Calpurnia was serving Aunt Alexandra coffee, Aunt Alexandra says to Atticus, "You know, its a funny thing about Braxton. He despises Negroes, won't have one near him"(Lee 156). I was surprised by how Aunt Alexandra says this in front of Calpurnia, who is black, and doesn't even have a second thought about it. Atticus was also shocked by this because afterwards he scolded her for talking like that in front of Calpurnia. By Atticus saying this, it made me gain more respect for him. Atticus wants Calpurnia to feel accepted and appreciated by them, and by Aunt Alexandra saying this it sends the wrong message. 

Another event that interested me was when Atticus was trying to prove that it was actually Mr. Ewell that beat his daughter and he said, "Will you write your name and show us?"(Lee 177). At first I didn't understand why it was important for him to write his name, but then when Scout explained it I understood why and it was surprising to me. Mr. Ewell is left handed and since Mayella was beaten on the right side of her face, it makes sense that he could have hit her. I can also connect this to the book "Monster", because there was a man who was shot on the right side of his body, and the accused shooter was left handed. I found it surprising how even though Scout isn't even nine years old, she understands everything that is going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment