In chapters 26 and 27 there were a few events that I wasn't expecting to happen and they surprised me. For example, Jem's reaction when Scout it explaining to him how Miss Gates dislikes Hitler for not having equality, yet she didn't have equality towards black people during the trial was shocking. Jem became furious with Scout and shouted, "I never wanta hear about that courthouse again, ever, ever, you hear me? You hear me? Don't you ever say one word to me about it again, you hear? Now go on!" (Lee 247). I didn't understand why Jem was reacting so harshly when Scout referenced the trial. Maybe it is because he is so upset with the outcome that he never wants to think of it again. I think it may be that it makes him sick to think about how someone can be wrongly accused of doing such an awful thing, simply because he was black.
In addition, when Helen Robinson calls Link Deas because Mr. Ewell is bothering her again, Link Deas comes out to tell Mr. Ewell to leave her alone and says "You don't have to touch her, all you have to do is make her afraid, an' if assault ain't enough to keep you locked up awhile, I'll get you in on the Ladies' Law, so get outa my sight! If you don't think I mean it, just bother that girl again!" (Lee 250). This surprised me because even though Link Deas is white, he is standing up for a black woman against another white man. Unlike the rest of Maycomb, Mr. Deas looks past people's skin color and judges them more for their character. I think that Link Deas knew that Tom Robinson wasn't guilty, and that is the reason why he especially doesn't like the Ewells. It also surprised me that Mr. Ewell was following her and harassing her, and that he didn't get the hint when Mr. Deas walked by the house with Helen.
No comments:
Post a Comment