In chapters 22 and 23 of "To Kill a Mockingbird", there were some events that I didn't fully understand or that made me double think. For example, when Jem is talking to Miss Maudie about the trial, Jem says, "I always thought Maycomb folks were the best folks in the world, least thats what they seemed like" (Lee 215). While reading this I wondered why Jem was taking the outcome so hard. The people of Maycomb are still good people, but they have just been living in a time period where black people weren't as easily. I do understand why Jem was so let down by the people in Maycomb though. Atticus did everything he could to prove to the jury that Mr. Robinson was not guilty, and yet they decided his fate by the color of his skin.
In addition, another time where I was confused and surprised was when Atticus was talking to Aunt Alexandra about being threatened by Mr. Ewell and he said, "We don't have anything to fear from Bob Ewell, he got it all out of his system that morning" (Lee 218). I wonder why Atticus isn't more worried about being threatened to be killed. If Mr. Ewell beats his own kids, then I think he would be capable of killing a man and especially one who he feels threatened by.
Mr. Ewell may feel threatened by Atticus because Atticus knows the real truth, and that is that he actually beat Mayella and not Tom Robinson. Any other person would be very scared to be threatened, but Atticus takes it very lightly as if it will just blow over.
No comments:
Post a Comment